A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~Oscar Wilde

Monday, January 14, 2013

Spartacus: I Miss Andy Whitfield



This is a post from my personal blog, written while it was still public.  Spartacus, War of the Damned, returns Friday, January 25, 2013. This will be the final season of the show. I decided to share this post here, in honor of the new and final season. And also due to a bit of a lack of motivation going on today...without further ado. 

Original post March 13, 2012.

via
My husband and I are infatuated with Spartacus, the show on Starz. It entertains, it thrills. It is full of blood and gore and sex and foul language. Lots of mostly naked and naked sweaty men. Built to KILL. Oh yes. More please.

Needless to say, we were heartbroken when Andy Whitfield succumbed to lymphoma, placing the show on a hiatus we were unsure it would return from.

We were pleased when we discovered the show would return for a new season. We wanted to see Spartacus "kill them all."

However, we quickly discovered we didn't want to see just any Spartacus "kill them all." No. We wanted to see Andy Whitfield KILL THEM ALL. Yes. Andy. Not the new dude. He simply did not have the same look, the same desire burning in his eyes. He seemed young and innocent, not the jaded killer we knew, but a youthful replacement, lacking skill and physical strength.


Season Three has been a crushing blow to our love of the show but we kept watching because at some point we just knew it would turn around. We were mourning Andy and this new dude just left us feeling hollow. Other cast replacements weren't helpful, either, but I won't get into that right now. We have found ourselves more interested in the Romans than the plight of our recently freed slaves and gladiators. The Romans, by the way, are headed by Lucy Lawless and they are divinely consumed with self, sex and power. Entrancing to say the least. And with the marked absence of my love, Andy Whitfield, I have clung to them and their plights to make it through to the next episode in hopes of something, anything, making a turnaround.

Finally, in the most recent episode, the turn occurred. Oh, yes. I have found a spot in my heart to discover the name of NEW SPARTACUS. Liam McIntyre. I may like him afterall.

via

This episode created a new desire to watch, made me feel that Liam was up to the task of filling Andy's shoes. He may not be Andy, and I think no one can fully replace Mr. Whitfield as Spartacus, but maybe Mr. McIntyre will do. After a band of rebels join forces with the group, a fight erupts among the seperate factions. Spartacus steps in and with a quick upper cut with his sword, removes the face of one of the rebels. His brain slides from skull. And the fight stops and the rebels recognize Spartacus as a great warrior and leader. My heart recognizes Liam as Spartacus for the first time. Spartacus returns in episode SEVEN.

And I yearn to see what happens with Ilythia (Roman. Wife of Prator Glabor) and Gannicus (Former Gladiator. Refusing to join sides with Prator Glabor. Kidnaps his wife and kills a bunch of his men!) tonight.



Written by Heather Sullivan. All images and writtings copy right 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Liam did very well and during the final season he made the role his own. And now me and my "wife" also miss spartacus ..... for blood and gore and naked bods there is Geme of Thrones, but it does not come close .....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying HI! I hope you enjoyed your time here. I loved having you and hearing what you have to say!!