A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~Oscar Wilde

Monday, November 19, 2012

I Hate/Loathe/Despise Black Friday


via


Here's the thing, I hate Black Friday. It sucks and I believe it was created by the devil. Give thanks one day, go push people down for a "deal" (which is typically not that much better than any other day) so you can get some more material stuff. Just one day after being thankful for what you have...you go push and shove people to get more crap. You just said yesterday how all the stuff wasn't important, it was family, blah blah blah and today, wham, more shit. 

I refuse to go into the madness. I have extreme social anxiety anyways, so the clusterfuck of people just really drives me to distraction. I don't even like shopping between now and Christmas as it stands. Panic over takes me. Long lines and someone strange all up in my personal space. No thanks. I prefer to receive little packages on my doorstep, thankyouverymuch. 

The "Christmas Spirit" goes out the window during this mass retail period. It's all about accumulating more junk. Not that I don't do my share of junk accumulation this time of year, I do. I don't pretend that I'm not a retail junkie. I just avoid all the physcho nut jobs out there clambering over an electronic gadget that is $2 off the normal retail at 4 in the a.m. Call me crazy. 

I also feel that the crazy black Friday shopping is pushing Thanksgiving out the door. I saw that Target is going to be open on Thanksgiving day this year. The crazy shoppers, they'll be there. Fuck the beautiful turkey and the wonderful eggnog that help you deal with your family. Let's go get crap we don't need in an effort to feel Christmassy. 

There are still Christmas decorations up around my house and office. I love Christmas. But I still feel that Thanksgiving is an important holiday in its own right. It begins the season, the parties, the festivities. I don't want to forget to take a day every year to be thankful. I can shop any day of the year, and do. But spending the day with people I love and stuffing my face full of turkey, casseroles and sweets? I'll never give it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying HI! I hope you enjoyed your time here. I loved having you and hearing what you have to say!!